Printer is Offline: Here’s How To Get A Printer Online
Sometimes when you try to print a document you may face an unresponsive printer with a message saying ‘Printer is offline’. This can happen due to a communication error between your PC and printer.
Sometimes connecting the loose cable or solving the paper-jam issue may get your printer back online. But if this is not solving the printer offline issue, you might need to go deep to bring the printer back online.
Why Your Printer Shows Offline?
Now, there can be various factors that make your printer offline. Having basic knowledge about these factors can help you understand and solve the issue more efficiently. Let’s have a look at the factors responsible for this issue before proceeding to the solutions to get the printer back online.
- A paper jam in your printer device
- Incorrect or loose cable connection between your device and the printer.
- Issues with the printer driver.
- Backdated firmware or Operating System.
How Do You Change A Printer From Offline to Online?
Having a dead printer stuck with a message saying offline can badly hamper your work. So, if you’re wondering how to put printer online then you need not worry. We have brought some simple troubleshooting tips to effectively tackle this issue.
Check the Cable Connection
One of the main reasons behind an offline printer is a loose or inappropriate cable connection. Therefore, you must always make sure that there are no loose connections between the printer and the computer device.
In case the USB or Ethernet cables develop damages and faults you must immediately replace them with a new one.
Set The Printer Online Manually
One of the best ways to turn your printer back online is to set it online manually. Here’s what you must do to manually make your printer online:
- At first, click on the ‘Start’ icon of your device. You’ll find this in the bottom left corner of the screen. Now, click on ‘Control Panel’ and go to ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Thereafter, choose the model from the list and right-click on it. Now, choose the ‘See What’s Printing’ option.
- After this, go to the Menu bar at the top and click on the ‘Printer’ option.
- Finally, from the drop-down menu select the ‘Use Printer Online’ option.
Now, your printer is online and ready to carry out the print jobs.
Reinstall the Printer Driver to Bring your Printer Back Online
If none of the above processes help you to deal with the printer offline issue successfully, your last resort would be to reinstall the printer driver. Follow these simple solutions to reinstall the printer driver:
- At first, go to the ‘Printers’ option from the ‘Settings’ and right-click on it. Now, choose the ‘Properties’ option.
- Under the ‘General’ option find the driver button and click on it. Choose the Uninstall option.
- Once the printer driver is uninstalled, you need to go to the official website of the manufacturer of your printer. From there choose the model of your printer and download the printer driver.
- Finally, when the download is complete follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
To sum up, here’s a detailed guide on how to get a printer online. Follow these above-mentioned steps to successfully get your offline printer back online.
Frequently Asked Questions On Printer Offline Issue
How do I disable SNMP on my printer?
At first, click on Start and then go to Printers and Faxes from the Settings menu. Right-click on the printer and choose Properties. Now, click on Ports and go to Configure Port. Uncheck the box next to SNMP status. Finally, click on OK and then on Close.
How do I reset my printer?
Turn the printer off at first and then remove the power cable from the printer. Now, reconnect the power cable to the printer and turn it on. Press and hold the Resume button for at least 20 seconds. When the Attention lights turn on release the button.
How do you update printer drivers?
Go to the Settings menu and click on ‘Devices and Printers’. From there choose the model of your printer and right-click on it. Select the ‘Properties’ option. Now, go to the ‘Driver’ tab and choose the ‘Update Driver’ option to begin the driver update process.