How to Fix Canon Error Code 801
Canon error 801 is a common error encountered by various Canon printer users that usually occurs when a user tries to send/receive an email or fax. Users claim that they were able to both scan and send their emails previously but now when they try to use this function, 801 error code appears.
Although the situation is prevalent, the entire situation can be troublesome and needs an immediate fix. Take a look into some of the fixes to get rid of this error immediately.
What are the Causes Behind Canon Error Code 801?
Basically, there are three different types of Canon error 801, viz. 801 [FTP], 801 [SMTP], 801[SMB].The causes behind each type of error vary accordingly. However, it can occur if
- The machine was trying to reach the SMTP server to send an email message
- The SMTP server couldn’t connect due to incorrect destination
- You are sending any file to a destination where you do not have the write permission.
- You are sending any file to the server but it already exists and cannot be overwritten
- The given folder name or password is incorrect while sending a file to the server.
How to Troubleshoot Canon Error Code 801?
Besides its causes, the Canon error code can be pretty frustrating and should be fixed immediately. Here we have mentioned some of the ways by which you can do so without any hassle.
Fix 1: Check the SMTP Server Status
At first, we recommend you to check your SMTP Server Status by using the Microsoft Telnet command-line utility. Here are the steps following which you should be able to check the SMTP Server status.
- Firstly, go to Start and select Run. Within the text field, type “cmd” and then click on Ok. This will open the command-line prompt.
- Type the following command within the Command Prompt to start an SMTP server connection
“telnet smtp.servername.com 25”
- If you confront any connection failure during this entire time, then check if the server name is entered correctly or not.
- Once the connection status gets active, make sure to send a message and check if it’s responsive.
- Lastly, type “Quit” to end the SMTP session.
Fix 2: Verify the Email Address
Many times the problem can be correlated with an incorrect email address. You might just have typed it wrong and now it’s not getting connected to the server. In such cases, follow the steps given below to prevent accessing error.
- Go to the Start menu and then go to Control Panel.
- Within the “System and Security” section, check the status of Firewall Settings.
- If it is enabled, then make sure to disable it by dragging the toggle to the left side.
- Open the Gmail account again and check if the error got fixed.
Fix 3: Temporarily Re-enable the SMB Protocol
Apart from that, you can also try re-enabling the SMB protocol and check whether it resolves the error for you or not. To do so, check out the steps given below.
- Go to Start and then open the Control Panel.
- Click on Programs and then look for “Turn Windows features on or off” link. Make sure to click on it as well.
- Open the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option and mark the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option.
- Click on Ok and Restart Now.
Fix 4: Run Disk Cleanup
Accumulation of junk or unwanted files within the system can result in Canon error 801 as well. Thus, in such cases, it is recommended to run a disk cleanup by following the steps given below in the same order.
- Go to Settings and then click on Control Panel.
- Select Administrative Tools and then click on Disk Cleanup.
- Once the list of drives appears, select the drive on which you want to run Disk Cleanup.
- Now, choose the files which you want to delete and then click on Ok. Lastly, click on Delete Files.
- Besides, to get rid of unwanted files from your system, click on Clean up system files.
- To delete shadow copies and restore points, go to More options and then click on Cleanup.
Fix 5: Use the System File Checker Tool
A System file checker tool scans all the files and gets rid of all the corrupted files within the system. Thus, to run an SFC scan, follow the steps given below sequentially.
- Go to Start and type cmd within the search box.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and run it as an administrator.
- Type your administrator password and then click on Allow.
Run the DSIM tool before System file checker by following the steps cited below
- Type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” within the command prompt.
- Press the Enter key. Wait for some time as it may take several minutes to complete.
Now, run the SFC scan by following the steps given below sequentially
- Type “sfc/scannow” command within the command prompt.
- Press the Enter button.
Fix 6: Check Your Network Connection
Canon Error 801 can also occur due to an improper network connection. Thus, it is important to check it thoroughly.
Now, if you are using any wired connection, then check if the ethernet cable port is corrupted or not. Also, check if it is connected correctly. Make sure to replace or connect it properly, if not.
For users with a wireless connection, WiFi signal strength should be checked. If the signal is comparatively weaker, it is recommended to contact the ISP.
So, these were some of the methods following which you should be able to resolve the Canon error code 801 without any difficulty.