How To Fix Printer Not Activated Error Code 20
Printer not activated error code 20 is an annoying problem that Windows 7, 8, and 10 users often confront. This error message indicates that the PDF converter fails to read the activation code.
However, many consumers complain about this error while printing an Adobe document after Microsoft update or running the QuickBooks applications.
Various factors are responsible for the occurrence of this error. But, some of the most significant causes include the conflicts in the device manager, corrupted printer driver or setting an incorrect printer as the default one.
Fortunately, multiple ways are there to resolve the printer activated error in no time.
Ways to Fix Printer Not Activated Error Code -20
Here are the effective troubleshooting measures that you can try to resolve the printer error on your own. But, before that, you must verify whether the printer is working correctly or not.
For this purpose, you can print a test page. Also, check the USB connectivity from the printer to the system. After verifying all, follow the undermentioned dedicated methods to resolve the printer activated error.
Method 1: Set your Printer as Default Printer
A majority of users claim that after setting their printer as the default device, the activation error gets eliminated. Therefore, you can also try this trick. In order to execute this method, follow these instructions.
- Press the combination of the Windows logo + R key to initiate the Run dialog window. Thereafter, write “Control” inside the dialog box and hit the OK button.
- Inside the Control Panel window, go to “Hardware and Sound” and hit “Devices and Printer”.
- Once you access the “Devices and Printers” menu, locate and right tap on your printer from the available list.
- From the resultant menu, choose the “Set as a Default Printer” and save the new modifications by tapping on the “Apply” button as well as the “OK” button.
Once you set your printer as the default printer, reboot your device to verify whether the problem gets removed or not.
Method 2: Re-install the USB Composite Device
This is another reliable way that you can try to resolve the Printer not activated error code -20. To proceed with this method, go through the instructions underneath.
Step 1: Open the Run window by using the above-mentioned instructions, Now, inside the run dialog box, type “devmgmt.msc” and hit the Enter key.
Step 2: From the result window, select the Device Manager. Next, look for the “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”.
Step 3: Next, right-tap on the “USB Composite Device” and choose the “Uninstall” or “Remove” button from the appeared menu. From the confirmation window, hit the “Yes” button.
Step 4: Further, unplug the printer USB from the system. After a while reconnect it again. Next, navigate to the “Found New Hardware wizard” and install all the required drivers one by one.
When done, right-click on the printer icon and hit the “Print Test Page” button in order to print the Windows test report.
Method 3: Utilize Printer Troubleshooter
Printer Troubleshooter is a built-in tool that comes up with every version of the Windows OS. So, whenever you find any printer related problems, we suggest you run this troubleshooter and let it fix the internal bugs and glitches. To run the Printer Troubleshooter, carry out the underlying instructions.
- Open the Windows search bar and write “Troubleshooting”.
- In the next window, choose the “View All” option that is located at the left pane of the screen.
- Once the “Troubleshoot Computer Problems” list comes up on the screen, hit the “Printer” option.
- Thereafter, follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to run the Printer Troubleshooter.
In the end, you can reboot your device to let the new changes take effect.
Method 4: Grant Access by Using PowerShell
For this purpose, invoke the Windows search field and enter “PowerShell” inside it. Afterward, hit the Enter key to proceed further. In the next window, proceed to right tap on the PowerShell and choose the “Run as Administrator” option.
Once the PowerShell launches in Admin mode, enter the following command and hit the OK button to execute it.
“PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
After executing this command, reboot your device to save the new changes.
Method 5: Repair the Windows Registry Entries
Due to the presence of malware or virus, the Windows registry files get corrupted or damaged that results in the printer not activated error code 20. To prevent such situations, you can repair the Windows registry entries. For this purpose, carry out the steps underneath.
- Launch the Run dialog box and write “Regedit” inside it. Hit the Enter key to open the Registry Editor.
- Once you access the “Registry Editor”, locate the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software.
Also, right-tap on the Software folder and choose the permissions from the available menu.
- Inside the Permission window, locate the “Administrator and users” option. Make sure that the Administrator and users have “Full Control” selected. If not, then place a tick mark to the checkbox in order to select the “Full Control”.
- Next, choose the “Apply” button as well as the “OK” button to save the new changes.
Verify whether the printer not activated error code 20 gets removed from your device after repairing the registry entries.
Method 6: Reinstall the QuickBooks
If you get stuck with the printer activated error while running QuickBooks, then there might be certain errors in the software. To overcome this situation, we suggest you reinstall the QuickBooks.
Open the Control Panel and go to the “Programs and Features” section. Under this menu, you will find a list where all the installed applications and programs are enlisted. Here, locate and choose the QuickBooks.
Next, select the “Uninstall” or “Change” option and follow the further instructions to uninstall the QuickBooks software from your device.
After you uninstall QuickBooks, go to its official webpage and look for the latest version. Then download the latest version by tapping on the “Download Now” button.
Method 7: Configure the Print spooler Service
After performing all the above methods, if you can’t resolve the Printer not activated error code 20, then you might require to configure the Print Spooler service. To do so, you can follow these steps.
- Invoke the Run window and write “services.msc”. Hit the “Enter” button to launch the Services window.
- Under the Services window, search for the “Print Spooler” service.
- Once you find it, right-tap on the Print Spooler service from the available service list and open its “Properties”.
- Stop the Print Spooler service by tapping on the “End” button.
- From the drop-down menu, set the “Startup type” as “Automatic” and save the changes.
- Further, restart the Print Spooler service by choosing the “Start” button from the appeared menu.
Now, you can attempt to save a PDF or print a document to check if the Printer not activated error code 20 has been resolved.